About Issues Management Contact

Energy sources

Mauritius is heavily dependent on imported fossil fuels for energy. In 2012, 84 per cent of the country’s energy requirements were met through imported non-renewable energy sources including petroleum products and coal (as shown in Figure 2), while the remaining 16 per cent came from local renewable energy sources.1 Bagasse stood for 93 per cent of the renewable energy sources, while the remaining seven per cent came from hydro, wind, landfill gas, photovoltaic and fuelwood.2

Primary energy requirements 2012

Resources

Primary energy requirements 2012 Download

Footnotes

[1]Statistics Mauritius (2013). Population and Vital Statistics,  January to June 2013, Statistics Mauritius, Port Louis,  Available online: http://statsmauritius.gov.mu/English/Documents/ei1058/population.pdf
[2] Statistics Mauritius (2012). Energy and Water Statistics 2012, Statistics Mauritius, Port Louis, Available online: http://statsmauritius.gov.mu/English/Documents/ei1041/Energy%20and%20Water%20Statistics